Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Sunday 21 January 2018

Small World

Though I've been browsing I haven't yet bought a copy of The Postman Always Rings Twice. Mostly that's because I told myself I shouldn't buy any more books until at least February.
But I still had a hankering to read something in that vein, but not a single detective or crime novel on my To-Be-Read shelves. Never really read much (or anything) in that vein. So instead I went to my unread comics section and picked up Fatale, thinking that this one looked like it might scratch that itch.


I originally picked Fatale up because it was described as a lengthy comic with Lovecraftian horror and an original spin on the Femme Fatale trope. I was in the mood for some good, epic horror at the time so this looked like it would be well suited for the job.




I read through book 1 in a few sittings. It was a lot sadder than I was expecting, but there is a lot of engaging mystery, some violence and the art style is aesthetically pleasing. The horror is there too and it is pretty much what I wanted. I'm curious to see how book 2 will wrap things up.

But here's the reason for this little post.

I tend to avoid reading the introductions first before plunging in these things, as you never can tell how much is going to be given away. So upon completion of the 2 stories in the book, and before reading the essays at the end of the collection, I doubled back to read the introduction.


Halfway through I was struck by how this was written with such an obvious level of thought and passion behind it and I looked at who wrote it.


Heh.



Small World.

-----



"I see these... coincidences..."

No comments:

Post a Comment