Very hard to write again. Been quiet too long.

Wednesday 13 September 2017

Upcoming Warhammer Chronicles editions

In my obsessive browsing the dark corners of the internet in search of upcoming books in various fields and franchises from various publishers I came upon something interesting.

You'll all have seen this one, which is already out now.
(And finally making its slow way towards me)


A very good trilogy but do not expect to learn of Sigmar the god in here.
This is Sigmar the man's road to Empire and his three great wars; Orcs, Chaos and Nagash.
I was expecting divinity stuff so on first read I was rather annoyed and disappointed. On second read it blew me away.

So you've seen that one,
but have you also seen the other ones that are coming?
I'm uncertain whether these covers will still change but we'll see.
In fact all the information is still liable to change so should be taken with a cautious grain of salt.

-----

Another Time of Legends reprint.


Out in November this year.

Still one of the best things Black Library every put out and sadly very widely maligned.
Both for its structure, which is indeed challenging (but very rewarding in my opinion) and its rewriting of the lore, which apparently doesn't stroke well with earlier written Nagash fluff.
Regardless, It's one of my absolute favourites and as I'm not a gamer and here purely for the fiction: Criticism be damned.

A beautiful supernatural spin on Egyptian culture with distinctive settings, warriors and cities. Some of the best large scale warfare in the Warhammer-verse. Heroism and tragedy in equal measure and such a perfect ending.

Well worth your time.

-----

And another reprint, though originally not a Time of Legends trilogy, the (not final) cover seems to indicate it to be a part of that now.


Will be released in January 2018.

This is also one of the few trilogies set in the Warhammer universe that I've read several times; it's that good. 
Jerek Kruger is an unforgettable character and the full tale is a painful but inspiring tragedy.

Makes sense to add this to the Warhammer Chronicles Time of Legends division.
They plainly would have fitted neatly into that series.

-----

And another ToL reprint.


February 2018.

All very good novels in this one; Gav thorpe is one of the Library's best writers. Though, don't expect the narratives to allign neatly. Every book has a seperate protagonist, though the stories somewhat overlap.
Also one of the few trilogies where every book ends with the promise of yet huge things to come, which had a very annoying and unsatisfactory result for me.
After all, when you get to the end of the trilogy the last thing you want to hear is empty threats and promises that don't come to pass.
 (yes I suppose the End Times did indeed deliver on every single one of these promises I speak of.
But such a sprawling story isn't very neat and quite hard to read)

-----

And Lastly, there's also this one. 
Which is, for once, not a re-release of a previous omnibus but a completely new one (collecting previously released individual novels).


April 2018.

Collecting the novels Valkia the Bloody, Sigvald (the Magnificent?) and Van Horstmann.

Never got around to reading these though so I'm very interested in this one.
Though I did read Cawkwell's 'Reaper' in the Black Library Live chapbook and thought it was really quite bad-ass.

So the last one's not a trilogy but rather a collection of individual novels and
it's also the cover that doesn't allign at all with the rest of the other covers, and Sigvald looks more like a chubby lobster in this one so I'm guessing that yes, this cover is indeed not Final.
I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to see what'll happen with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment